THERE’S NO NEED TO SPEND A DIME ON YOUR VALENTINE
Valentine’s day is rapidly approaching, and while we’re all about spreading the love and showing those around you that you care about them, we’re also conscious that Valentine’s day shouldn’t have to cost you the world! Love is about expression and feeling, so we’ve come up with some awesome ways to show you care without breaking the bank!
Sugar and spice and all things nice! That’s all you need to make this soothing bath salt mix! Follow this step by step guide to treat your loved one to a sensational soak…
All you need is: 200g of Epsom Salt, 50g of pink rock salt, 20 drops of your favourite essential oil, dried lavender or rose petals.
- Firstly take 200g of Epsom salt and add it to a mixing bowl with 50g of pink rock salt
- Next take 20 drops of your favourite essential oil (we recommend lavender for the ultimate de-stress results!) and combine with your salt combination, rubbing the two together thoroughly.
- Take your dried lavender and/or rose petals and sprinkle through the salt mix.
- Take an empty jam jar or kilner jar of your choosing and fill with your salt mix. Tie a ribbon and a love tag to the pot and voila, you have a handmade luxury bath salt to gift your boo!
Why only show your full love one day a year? Show your bae how much you care all year round with a bundle of love tokens. Head out to the shops and pick up a some coloured card, a ribbon and a hole punch! Create a heart shaped template and cut out 12 tokens, hole punching the top so you can thread your ribbon through the bundle. In your best handwriting fill out favours/ gestures of love that you want to gift your loved one with over the year.
Here’s a few suggestions:
- Your favourite meal cooked from scratch
- A walk by the beach/ in the woods/ through the park
- A back massage
- Breakfast in bed
- A hand-car wash
- Master of the TV remote for a whole day
- A day of doing all the dishes
- An outdoor treasure hunt guided by clues related to your memories together
Leave your Love Tokens on your partners pillow for a sweet surprise, and allow them to choose a token a month to show them your ongoing love!
Freshly Baked Vegan Cupcakes
Candy Kittens make a perfect Valentine's gift in their own right, but if you fancy getting a bit more creative why not try out Maria from @maryles_plantry’s Wild Strawberry vegan cupcake recipe! We all know the best way to someone’s heart is through their stomach!
- 200g stork
- 250g sugar
- 200g vegan yogurt
- 200g oat milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 handful of freeze dried strawberries
- 400g flour
- 6g baking powder
- 120g vegan butter
- 350g icing sugar
- Wild Strawberry Candy Kittens
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line your tray with 15 cupcake cases. Meanwhile, place the stork and sugar in a stand alone mixer and whisk until pale (about 3 minutes).
- Add in your yogurt and milk and whisk again. It will curdle a little but don't worry, that’s normal.
- Mix the baking powder into the flour as well as the vanilla and strawberries.
- Gradually add the flour mix to the whisking batter. When completely combined, divide the batter between the 15 cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, checking on them after 15. When you put a skewer into the middle and it comes out clean, you know your cupcakes are baked to perfection. Allow your cupcakes to cool before icing.
- To make your icing, mix together the vegan butter with the icing sugar until fluffy. Refrigerate this icing for an hour.
- Once refrigerated, add your icing to a piping bag and pipe onto your cupcakes. Finally decorate the icing with your Wild Strawberry Candy Kittens and you’ve got the sweetest gift of all.
Pictures are worth a thousand words and we’re sure you must have a few snaps of you and your loved one on your phone! Why not make a Valen-time-line to hang on the wall reminding your loved one of all the incredible memories you’ve shared together.
There’s plenty of Apps out there that you can use to print your photos! Choose your top memories and get them printed and delivered to your door. Organise them in order from when you first met to the most recent photo of you together. On the back write a funny or romantic quote about the memory and don’t forget to add the date to make it a proper timeline!
Using some string and some mini pegs, attach your photos to a long piece of string which can be hung up on your bedroom wall. It’s as simple as that! Now you have a romantic timeline of all the memories shared with your loved one.
Up-cycle an old clothing item
Does your loved one own a piece of clothing that they no longer wear because it's faded, old, or maybe all their friends have seen it one too many times? Well one of our Sweet Squad members, Molly-Mae has come up with the perfect solution! Why not pimp up their clothes with this epic natural avocado dye recipe! Turn their clothes pink and give them a cheeky wink!
Avocado dyeing step by step:
What you’ll need:
- The piece you want to dye... to start with try an old white cotton T-shirt, or any kind of white fabric. The trick is, whatever you are dyeing it has to be made from a natural fibre, this could be cotton, linen, silk, wool... the natural dye only takes to natural fibres, not man made fibres!
- 4/5 Avocados (the more you use the richer the colour).
- A big pot to dye in.
1. Once eaten, save your avocado skins and pits, give them a good wash and then leave them to dry. For the best results, use your skins within 2 weeks of saving them.
2. Fill your bowl with warm water and leave your fabric in the bowl to sit for an hour before you start to dye. This loosens the fibres.
3. Fill your large pot with water and the avocado skins and pits. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for about 40 minutes. You’ll see the water colour turn a reddish brown, the deeper the colour you want the longer you leave them.
4. After about 45 mins to an hour, turn the heat down and pick out the avocado skins and pits with tongs so you are just left with the dyed water. Then take your fabric from the bowl, place into the dyed water and leave on a low simmer for about an hour. You’ll instantly see a change in colour in your fabric to a pale pink. Leave in the water on a low heat, longer than an hour if you desire a deeper pink. Less time will be more peachy pink, more time will be more a browny dark pink.
5. Once you have achieved your desired colour, take the fabric out and ring it in the sink under cold water until the water runs clear. Then just leave to dry and wait to see what pretty shade of pink you’ve got!
Let us know if you try out any of these Valentine's gift ideas! Tag us on your instagram or pop us a DM! Happy Valentine's from CKHQ x