MOVE: Introducing Michelle Kennedy
“To get the right answer, you have to make mistakes”
In this week’s episode of MOVE, Ed and Jamie interview Michelle Kennedy, former ballet dancer, and lawyer who grew up in the heart of Peterborough. Following Michelle’s early work in law, she switched up her career path and found herself as Deputy CEO of the mobile app Badoo. She then later became an advisor on the board on Bumble, becoming an integral part of the founding of this female-focused dating app. In 2016 Michelle founded her own app: Peanut. Peanut is an app aimed to help mothers connect and learn from other like-minded mothers creating a supportive community for all new mums!
Michelle tells us how her life has changed after having her first child, and how it has impacted her daily habits and routine. As a child, Michelle had a fairly strict upbringing and was encouraged to choose a career as a doctor or lawyer. Alongside this, she was taken to ballet classes every Wednesday which has played a massive part in Michelle’s acknowledgement and belief in the importance of discipline and routine. Though she has steered away from her career in law and stopped dancing, she has used her skills in self-discipline to not only support her business Peanut; but also her new life as a mother, setting bedtimes, meal times and making sure her son gets used to routine also.
When Michelle fell pregnant with her son, she felt there was a gap in the market for an app designed especially for mums to connect and meet one another. Being a new mum has difficulties and learning curves, and Michelle believed creating an app designed for women to connect, learn and support one another could truly benefit many in the same position as herself.
To listen in to this week’s episode click the link to the podcast here.
Michelle’s five facts about her experience as an entrepreneur and business:
- Michelle started her career as a lawyer at leading international law firm Mishcon de Reya. She later joined the dating app, Badoo, where she rose to Deputy CEO.
- During her tenure at Badoo, Michelle was integral to the launch of Bumble.
- After finding herself trawling blogs for baby advice at 2 AM while her friends were out in clubs, Michelle decided to create a product to make motherhood a little less lonely.
- Michelle never lets her differences be the thing that unpicks her. Instead, she uses these differences to disarm others. She always tries to be exactly what other people expect her not to be.
- Michelle is a mother to her 4-year-old son and has a baby girl on the way!