MOVE: INTRODUCING LAURA JACKSON
“Being kind and thoughtful will lead to being successful because you care”
This week on the MOVE podcast Jamie and Ed interview Laura Jackson, co-founder of Jackson and Levine, a one-of-a-kind supper club bringing together people from all walks of life. Laura tells Ed and Jamie about her childhood, and how at school she struggled with academia due to her dyslexia and desire to be creative. She shares that in her school report she was told off for always being too chatty, and wanting to use the time to socialise rather than concentrate on Maths, Science and English. Though this may have been frowned upon at school, this is certainly a skill that Laura used to build her business and make connections.
After spending some time studying events management at Leeds University, Laura moved to London to pursue a career in this field of work. She always made herself available and worked the hardest she could to throw herself out there and build new skills. After spending some time working in events, Laura fell into broadcasting. She was always personable and loved meeting people. When Laura saw an opening for a receptionist at Shoreditch House she jumped at the chance to apply and did. Whilst at Shoreditch House Laura met some incredible individuals, including one man who put her in touch with a broadcasting agent who found her an audition the following week.
Laura tells Ed and Jamie that she had no idea how to be a presenter at the start of her career, but thrived in this career path, quickly learning the ins and outs of the job as she went along. She always looked up to Sarah Cox, Claudia Winkleman and Fearne Cotton; women who branched out further than their presenting careers and had projects alongside which she always found incredibly inspirational and admirable. Laura loved her career in presenting as it gave her the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, talking to and learning from a multitude of individuals.
This passion of Laura's, to meet new people, and her love of food fed into her co-founding of London’s hottest supper club ‘Jackson and Levine’. The premise behind this business being that you buy a ticket for an evening dinner where you’re sat at a table with complete strangers who you’d spend the rest of your evening with. Guests are encouraged to feel at home, bringing in their favourite record to listen to and getting to know their dinner companions. Laura and Alice wanted to create a space that was equally as impressive as the food, building a unique experience that isn’t the ‘norm’ in dining. Ever since the pair launched their business it’s grown rapidly. They’ve even written a book “Round to Ours” and since, have launched two dinnerware ranges in Habitat.
To find out more about Laura’s journey head over to this week’s podcast.
Laura Jackson’s top 5 top facts about her own business and entrepreneurship:
- Laura set up Jackson & Levine with her friend Alice 6 years ago after meeting at a charity jumble sale. Jackson & Levine was the first of its kind, a unique supper club that brought all different walks of life together around one dining table. It was a way for people to connect and interact without any ego. Jackson & Levine have had two sell-out collections with high street store Habitat, a best selling cookbook and worked as ambassadors big brands including Nespresso and The global almond board.
- Laura's vast broadcast career has seen her host a range of shows from Take me out: The gossip for ITV, The Brits to Saturday night prime time show Ready or not for the BBC. Laura's fun down earth disarming demeanour has made her a firm favourite on-screen.
- Laura collaborated with British fashion label RIXO this year where she co-designed a capsule collection which was stocked on Net A Porter and received worldwide acclaim with fans ranging from Maggie Gyllenhaal, Demi Moore and Holly Willoughby.
- Laura is currently the food and lifestyle contributing editor for Marie Claire UK.
- Laura is launching LORE for 2019, a new project 'Entertain + Escape' which will launch with a vineyard supper club in September 2019 - the very first vineyard supper club in London.